Skip to main content

Introduction






Observation and Experience:

         It’s a brand new semester and I’ve always been motivated and excited to learn new things and go beyond my comfort zone. It is already expected that this class will contain 9 students because of the online platform to view the number of enrollees. I choose this elective class because I’m available on a Saturday morning class. I had an idea that from the subject name itself, it is for the human development of the employees in the organization. However, having integrality, is something to learn and think about.

         I have learned that integral human development promotes the good of every person and the whole person. “Development cannot be limited to mere economic growth alone. In order to be authentic, it must be complete: integral, that is, it has to promote the good of every person and of the whole person." (Populorum Progressio, Pope Paul VI). “It is the holistic development of a human person, covering all aspects of life: social, economic, political, cultural, intellectual and spiritual.” (Caritas). With this, I have learned to value every aspect of my life to be well-developed in order to be complete as a whole.

         Using the integral human development framework as a guide, we assess our personal well-being in our workplace by drawing a flower, each petal representing one form of well-being. A large petal means that form of well-being is nurtured well, while a small petal means that form of well-being has not been adequately nurtured. Also, to make it easier, the petal is categorized from 1 to 3, which 1 needs to be nurtured and 3 being well-nurtured. We have a group discussion by three to share what are the flower looks like and what is the well-being of every aspect in the workplace. I have observed that everyone is eager to know the result of this activity. So, a class discussion was held to share a summary of the personal assessment.

Analysis and Reflection:

         I have realized the results when doing my personal assessment on how I was being nurtured in my workplace. It is that there is a lot for me to reflect if I was being well-developed in the company I worked with. First aspect is Bodily Development. I think it is nurtured but not on a maximum level since the tables and chairs or the physical structures are just right to do our work everyday. However, it is not well calculated if it is ergonomically correct since the management only bought those tables and chairs just right to what is needed for the comfort of the employee. Also, there are no medical or health card benefits given to the employees which is a vital or important part for an employee, like for example a regular eye check-up should be done since the work is always to use the computer or simply an annual physical check-up.

         Second aspect is Cognitive Development. I think with regards to this it is well-nurtured but it can still be developed more with trainings and more challenging works. For me, as an auditor, my work itself is challenging and a lot of concepts and applications is needed to think about. However, sometimes, the work for me is being repetitive in a sense that it is the same client I handle every time. I think what should the management needs to do is to reshuffle and distribute different clients every year for the independent reports and to gain more knowledge and skills from different industry. 

         Third aspect is Emotional Development. With this, I think as an employee which reports directly to the managing partner, I have the freedom to express my thoughts. However, there are times that my boss is close-minded and does not listen to what I say, but rather pushes what he thinks is right. Sometimes, it hurts me when I cannot explain properly my side of the idea and let him talked the way he wanted to. However, it happens not very often.

         Fourth aspect is Social Development. With regards to the social well-being, I think that it is normal to have a group of friends in the workplace since we are composed of different age groups and interests. Having friends at work is important to make life better. This friends will help you be engaged in your job more. Also, both might have similar sentiments. In our office, I have friends whom I know will help me and criticize me if needed. Also, it is good to have friends that I can get along outside work and discuss stories not related to work.

         Fifth aspect is Aesthetic Development. I don’t think that it is well-developed in our workplace. Since we render accounting, audit and tax compliance services, there are no means to work with creative design or artistic way to come up with our reports. Nevertheless, during Christmas party, everyone is required to participate in a performance to showcase our talents and skills. I have not thought of any idea which this aspect can be well-nurtured in a technical services workplace.

         Sixth aspect is Moral Development. I thought that with regards to moral well-being, every one gives respect to each other’s point of view. However, sometimes, since we are a small company and we are composed of a small group of people, there is a comfortability with how some treat the others. Maybe, because, we also knew each other’s attitude or personality. However, there are also new employees involve which they don’t know yet the attitude of the other. With regards to this, both side should adjust and cope up with every one’s personality and give mutual respect.

         Seventh aspect is Spiritual Development. There are no opportunities or activities to reflect upon life’s higher purpose. There is no bible study group or mass, etc. However, what is good in our organization is that the management respect the religion of the employees. Especially if the employee has activities on their church and asks for a leave, they are not strict on what practices each individual has.

         Lastly is the Material Development. Since our company is based in Cavite, the rate was much lower than if we are employed in Manila. As I am a certified public accountants (CPA), the pay was higher than the staff accountants in the operations department since some did not pass the board exams. 



Commitment and Action:

         I thought that it would be a good idea to ask my colleagues in the office especially my teammates in the unit to do the activity. It is to know what are their thoughts on how well they are being nurtured in the workplace. That’s why, it is also a good proposition that the subject required final output is an integrated action research. This is to identify what will the collaborating team suggest and choose to develop or nurture more in the workplace. With this commitment, I planned to gather our unit, which is composed of four members, to have a meeting and engage on to do the activity as well. I have also realized that the activity was to assess the development of an employee in the workplace, however, it would be a good objective if there will be an activity that will lead the people to find their purpose and to achieve the integrality from that person’s inner self.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help the community!

To be a Lasallian business leader, one should understand the social and environmental challenges of the society and not just his/her own organization. I was amazed that graduate studies at DLSU do not just focus on the business aspect but for understanding the community as well. It is a good way in which we will actively participate and collaborate with different social groups. Our class visited GK Farms. It was a new experience for me since I was amazed at how the community is solid and motivated by their vision. It was a brilliant idea for Tony Meloto which is the founder and father of Gawad Kalinga to come up with a community that is driven to change the life of those who are in need. Their vision really struck me which is to raise the global movement of 500,000 social entrepreneurs in 2024. This is a statement on how everyone should be encouraged to come up with a business and live using the resources that came from that business. It was also a good experience for us to mak

Complete!

As I said in my introduction, it was my first time to know the meaning of integrality. Integrality is being complete as a person. I think if there is an aspect of our lives that is not well nourished, we shouldn’t be bothered to feel incomplete. Because wholeness comes within. It is how we accept things. If only we accept things, we will not feel incomplete. What I’ve learned in this course was to value oneself. I have learned the importance of relaxation or meditation. Health is wealth. It is important that we shouldn’t live a stressful life. We should always think positive whenever circumstances and situations come unexpectedly. I have also realized the importance of the workplace in an individual. It is five times a week a person comes into the office. Every management should take care of its people. Business leaders should be more aware that common good starts from within. They need to ensure there workforce should be treated justly. At the end of the day, it is the happi

Express your words through arts

OBSERVATION AND EXPERIENCE: I was always looking forward to visiting the National Museum of Fine Arts since there were a lot of my friends who are recommending to me to visit the museum. Ever since grade school, I know I was never into the arts. There are some of my friends who I was so amazed at how they come up with a piece of art. What I always knew in myself was what I can draw is only a simple house either in a mountain scenery or beside a sea or a grassland which is a very common drawing in grade school. I was always so jealous and insecure with regards to this matter since it was never a part of me. I wanted to learn but it’s just I cannot  That’s why I looked up my friends who are very talented and skillful with the arts. As we have visited the National Museum last June 15, I was struck with amazement on how Spoliarium was made by Juan Luna. It is a powerful piece that reminds the bloodied bodies of gladiators who fought the Roman oppressors. It is not just a